Thursday 8 December 2022

First Day on the Job for Eloise - A (very) Short Story.

 


“They’ve sent us another one,” said Terry.  “I don’t think she’s much of a looker.” 

Terry was staring through the glass door of the Science staff room.  He was almost salivating.  He was like this with every new member of staff.  New meat for the grinder. 

Walking up the corridor was a very nervous looking young woman, accompanied by Denise from personnel.

The girl looked petrified.  She stared down at her new black Mary Janes as she scurried along next to the confident striding Denise.  She hid behind her long mousey brown hair, her gaze darting from one side to the other avoiding eye contact with anyone she passed.  Her Primark suit looked shiny new and unnatural.  In her arms she carried a small leather satchel, like a refugee carrying a precious baby from a warzone.

“Lay off Terry, we need all the help we can get.” 

In any other school Terry Butler would have been “managed” out years ago. His views on women and ethnic minorities were best described as “outspoken.”  It was his total arrogance that helped him survive in this tough school.  The kids were actually scared of him and indeed so were most of the staff.

“Bet she’s had enough by lunch time, especially if she’s got year 11 before break.”  Terry walked back to his desk, picked up his coffee cup and walked out, making sure to beam his creepy smile in the direction of the newcomer as she entered.

“Eloise this is Andy Smith, Head of Science.” said Denise.  “He’ll be able to answer any queries you have.  Come and find me in the office at the end of the day.”

“Hi, grab a seat.”  I offered my hand, as Denise left and Eloise shook it tentatively.  Her eyes briefly met mine and darted away to the floor.  “Have you been teaching for long?”

“Just qualified.” Her voice was gentle and she sounded terrified.  She was a rabbit in the headlights.  Terry was being optimistic about her, if she went into a class like this she’d be done by break.

“Ok, this place might be a bit tougher than your PGCE.  Just be confident and don’t take any nonsense from the kids.”  I tried to reassure her, but I wasn’t convinced myself.  “I’ve got some lesson plans for you and a timetable.  I’ll be in the room next door so if there’s trouble just call me.” I passed a folder across the table.  “I have to go to assembly so if you wait here until the bell, your classroom will be free to get setup then.”

“Thanks.”  She seemed to be a lady of few words.  I made for the door.

“Help yourself to a brew,” I pointed towards the collection of cups and the staff kettle.  “If you need anything, just ask.”  She nodded in reply and turned away.  I headed off to the hall.

I was really worried.  We had been through half a dozen supply teachers in the past fortnight.  The kids smelt weakness and were happy to bully any new teachers they came across.  Supply agencies were now refusing to send anyone to the school.  Even those career changers from the army wouldn’t come.  This left me as Head of Department struggling to keep classes learning, especially my own.

On returning to the department for the first lesson I expected to find the usual chaos.  Kids messing about rather than lining up to enter class.  I was ready for my morning shouting session.  I could not have been more surprised.

All the classes were lined up in the corridor.  Uniform was perfect.  The unruly pupils I had become so used to were in stunned silence.  Standing in the middle of it all was Eloise, or rather Eloise 2.0.  The nervous character I had seen just ten minutes earlier had been replaced with someone else.

No longer hiding, her hair was tightly drawn back, giving her the look of total authority.  She stood up straight commanding all before her.  In her hand was a metre rule, which she pointed at any child that was not following her clear and unambiguous instructions.

“Mr Smith’s class enter the room quietly.”  She spoke with such quiet authority, no one would dare disobey.  “Mr Butler’s class wait for him to arrive.  My class enter now in silence.”

It was as if a magic spell had been cast across the school.  The day passed without any behaviour incidents.  Every class worked hard in silence.  At the end of each lesson each pupil thanked me.  Science was an oasis of calm, unnerving and unnatural but unexpectedly welcome.  The catalyst seemed to be Eloise.  At lunchtime some pupils volunteered to stay behind to do extra work.

At the end of the day I sought her out.  To thank her, and hope that she would return for a repeat performance tomorrow.  I opened the door of her classroom and was horrified.

Eloise was nowhere to be seen.  There was a large pool of blood in the centre of the floor.  Directly above, hanging from the ceiling was the twitching corpse of Terry Butler.  On the whiteboard was scrawled just one word, “Revenge.”

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Totally unexpected! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember several ex-colleagues who perhaps deserved similar !

    ReplyDelete

A Postcard from the City

Bentham Station "We need to get out, have a change a scene!" My wife's words rang true for all of us.  We've had a a fairl...