Thursday 15 September 2022

On Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth

HM Queen Elizabeth II

The Summer of 1977.  I was not quite four years old.  The United Kingdom was celebrating the Silver Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.  

Events began on 6th February, with church services marking the date of her accession to the throne.  A busy year of Royal visits followed, first to the Commonwealth and later around the United Kingdom itself.

That year my dad was appearing in the 25th year of The Mousetrap at the St. Martins Theatre in London's West End.  On Jubilee Day, Tuesday June 7th, The Queen travelled by the gilded state carriage, not used since her Coronation, from Buckingham Palace to St. Pauls Cathedral for a service of thanksgiving.

The Gilded State Coach on its way to St. Pauls Cathedral

That damp June day, my mother and I left my dad to perform his Matinee and walked from the theatre, through the back streets from St. Martins Lane to the bottom of Regent Street.  There pushed forward by helpful strangers to the safety rail, standing on an orange box, I saw the procession pass on its way to St. Pauls.  The magnificent golden coach shimmering in the sun.  The Queen and Prince Phillip waving to the crowd, followed by The Prince of Wales, riding a black Gelding, almost unrecognisable underneath his Guards Bearskin and bright red uniform.  The clatter of hooves, the marching boots and the cheers of the crowd, the unapologetic pageantry are seared into my memory.  I still have the toy Silver Jubilee Routemaster that my mum bought me in Hamley's afterwards.

Corgi Commemorative Silver Routemaster

Little did I realise back then, that this was the only time I would ever see Her Majesty 'in real life'.

That isn't to say I've been deliberately ignoring the Royals.  I've done the tourist trails at Windsor Castle, driven past Buckingham Palace looking to see if the Royal Standard was flying to show if The Queen was in residence.  My primary school was overrun by journalists in 1981 when they discovered Lady Diana Spencer lived in a flat around the corner.  I even saw Princess Anne open the Road Haulage Association HQ in Weybridge back in the early 1990's.  It's just that Her Majesty and I haven't crossed paths again.

However, like so many people I must confess I was surprised by just how emotional I felt at the Queen's passing.  It is difficult to explain just why I was choking back the tears as Huw Edwards delivered the news:

"A few moments ago, Buckingham Palace announced the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II"

Even typing the words has me filling up with emotion.

Perhaps it was The Queens devotion to her duty, her longevity, her kindness, her wicked sense of humour, all qualities to be deeply admired.  Maybe it's because my own Grandmother is still alive and the same age.  Whatever the reason, the loss of someone that has been part of everyone's lives for so long has been deeply affecting.

The scenes of public grief have been remarkable, like something from an earlier age.  The Royal Family, having to grieve in public, have shown the sort of stoicism and dignity for which the Queen and the late Prince Phillip were well known for.  For this alone they all deserve great credit.

Watching King Charles make his first address to the nation, in what must be a time of great personal loss, he showed the dedication to duty for which his mother had long prepared him.  It seems that he is trying hard to live up to her example of service and duty.

Having had the benefit of The Queen's wisdom for so long, the whole world is a poorer place without her.  It is almost certain that we will never have another Queen in my lifetime. We will certainly never know another Monarch like her either.

The Queen is dead, long live The King.





No comments:

Post a Comment

A Postcard from the City

Bentham Station "We need to get out, have a change a scene!" My wife's words rang true for all of us.  We've had a a fairl...