Monday 6 June 2022

The Jubilee Tour


I have to say, with everything that's going on in the world, it is really nice to talk about something positive.  This past weekend has been a lot of fun, getting the band on the road and playing to happy audiences.

On Friday evening we were delighted to be a part of the Jubilee celebrations in Rathmell village.  A crowd of over two hundred enjoyed a wonderful BBQ and bar.  We played fifty-three songs in a two and a half hour non-stop set, which left us shivering in the cool evening breeze by the end!

After the usual hour or so packing up, helped in no small part by my lovely wife, we were ready to depart for home when Bass Player Alan marched up to my car window looking somewhat glum.

"My battery's flat," he said with his customary gruffness.  So we spent a fun few minutes searching under his bonnet by the light of an iPhone to locate the terminals to attach the jump leads.  Fortunately his van came back to life with the assistance of my Land Rover and we headed home.

A few minutes later, whilst crossing the Moorland just before our home in Bentham, we encountered four young girls standing in the road, flagging us down.  In the hedge beside the road was their Volkswagen Polo with hazards blinking.

"There was a car on my side of the road so I had to swerve," said the young driver sheepishly.

"Hang on, I've got a tow rope in the back."  We pulled them back to the road and told them to be careful.  After all the excitement we made it home unscathed at 12:30am.  Fortunately one of the local pubs has a late licence.  Even better our son was having a drink there after work, so he made sure that there were two pints waiting for us when we arrived.

Roll on to Sunday afternoon when we reconvened to play at The Coach House in Bentham.  An afternoon that was supposed to be outside in the baking June sunshine, ended up inside after the heavens opened and remained so for the whole day.

Having chatted with Landlord Karl the night before over a drink, we discussed the set list.  I am going to confess here, as I did to him on Saturday night, I can't stand Neil Diamond's 'Sweet Caroline.'  I do get grumpy when people ask us to play it.  So imagine my delight when I woke on Sunday morning to read the Coach House's Facebook post advertising the gig.  

"Come and hear all your favourites," it read. "Particularly American Pie and Sweet Caroline."

Australian publican humour aside, we played for a happy mix of tourists and locals who enjoyed our three sets between 4pm and 7pm.  A particular mention for Keith the guitarist, who's star turn is impersonating Hank Marvin on Apache.  He was absolutely flawless and went down a storm.  

I made sure to sing American Pie for Karl just before the end, just to make sure he wasn't disappointed.

The whole show rolls on to Wigglesworth next Sunday afternoon for the Capplestone Estate Open Farm.  Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Postcard from the City

Bentham Station "We need to get out, have a change a scene!" My wife's words rang true for all of us.  We've had a a fairl...